Project WorkLion is comprised of the governance body and the project team. The governance body consists of our executive sponsors, project sponsors, an executive steering committee, and a business decision body. The project team consists of key representation from across the University. In addition, we have hired the consulting firm, Accenture, as our implementation planning partner.
- Mary Beahm, Interim Vice President for Human Resources
- Joe Doncsecz, Associate Vice President for Finance and Corporate Controller
- Human Capital Management Team Lead - Rachele Brida
- Payroll & Finance Team Lead - Ray Burke
- Benefits & Absence Team Lead - Robin Haas
- Change Management, Communications & Training Team Lead - Janda Hankinson
- Security Team Lead - Huoy-Jii Khoo
- Time Tracking Team Lead - Cindy Newman
- Talent Management Team Lead - Sue Cromwell
- Technical Team Lead - Carl Seybold
- Testing Team Lead - Cathy Dufour
Penn State’s implementation of Workday will include the following HR-Payroll processes:
Human Capital Management
- Job/Position Management
- Hiring and Onboarding
- Faculty/Employee Information
- Employee Self-Service
- Academic Appointments
- Payroll Administration
- Payroll Accounting
- Federal, State and Local Tax Reporting
- Benefits administration including insurance and health care plans, defined contribution plans, employee spending accounts
- Absence and Leaves
- Collecting, Processing and Distributing Time Data- time entry, approvals, time calculation rules
- Goal and Performance Management
- Employees will be able to elect two Automated Clearing House (ACH) direct deposits to their payroll in addition to the Penn State Federal Credit Union deduction as a third option.
- IBIS Pay and Effort will continue to be used for distribution and Effort Certification.
- Employees who are staff non-exempt will continue to be paid on a monthly basis with exception hours paid in retro.
- Workday will be used to track working couples both employed by Penn State.
- Dependent verification will move to the Office of Human Resources when Workday is implemented.
- Employees will have the opportunity to designate beneficiaries for most benefit plans online through employee self-service in Workday.
- The administration of the graduate assistant and graduate fellow insurance program will be supported by Workday through the Student Insurance Office.
- Due to the complexities of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Penn State will continue to integrate with an external vendor, Equifax, to perform ACA measurement and reporting. Once Workday is populated with enough historical information, Workday will provide the ACA functionality.
- With the implementation of Workday, the Office of Human Resources will be able to provide modernized benefit services including seamless evidence of insurability processing for the life and disability insurance, on-line supplemental retirement enrollment, and electronic designation of beneficiaries for most benefit plans.
- Retiree benefits billing will be outsourced, to begin in mid-2016. Retirees will have self-service capabilities in Workday for address changes and beneficiary changes.
- Employees who hold multiple jobs at Penn State will have all positions listed in Workday . As an example, a full-time staff member may also teach a course or work part-time at the Bryce Jordan Center.
- Manager Role in Workday
- Managers are anyone who has any direct reports (regardless of employee type).
- Managers can view the following for their direct reports: organization, onboarding status, compensation, time tracking, performance goals, etc.
- Equifax will be used for I-9s at go-live.
- The following employee types will be configured in Workday:
- Executive, Administrator, Academic Administrator, Staff, Technical Service, Temporary/Part-Time Academic, Temporary/Part-Time Non-Academic (Staff), Student
- Staffing models will be used as follows:
- Position Management: Executive, Administrator, Academic Administrator, Staff, Technical Service
- Job Management: Temporary/Part Time Staff, Temporary/Part Time Faculty, Student
- Administrative Area will be used as the highest level of the Supervisory Organization Naming structure. Remaining levels will be identified by the area/unit according to their specific structure.
- Contingent workers will be used for the following groups:
- Temp Agency workers tracking Tech Service time; Hershey Medical Center employees who supervise Penn State employees; ROTC individuals who supervise Penn State employees.
- Affiliates will be used for the following groups:
- Adjuncts, Hershey Medical Center employees granted tenure.
- Volunteers will not be tracked in Workday due to the lack of a central repository of information.
- A report scoring matrix will be used to prioritize which reports are created at go-live. The project will initially focus on reports deemed as “critical” and phase in other reports.
- The recommendation has been accepted to not import any employee history into Workday from IBIS, including compensation and job history. The decision was based on the large quantity of data to import. Long term IBIS data archival will be needed.
- Employee hours worked will continue to be tracked in 10ths of hours.